Monday 27 November 2017

Ernest Hemingway advises ...


"The most solid advice is this, I think: Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough...
    "Finish what you start... Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual... When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen."
    "[And] never go on trips with anyone you do not love."
~ Ernest Hemingway, attributed, and from 'Advice to Young Writer' in Esquire, 1935
.

1 comment:

paul scott said...

I think the listening part is good.
For most of my life I didn't really concentrate on what people were saying. Now I do.
People can tell, and give more depth and truth when they see you listening.
I listened to Winston Peters though, and found that his word was as good as his words.