Thursday, 11 July 2013

Did you know … ?

Did you know that if you wish to build on, develop or improve your coastal land in some parts of the country, you first need to get permission from the local Maori tribal leader(s)?

Not everywhere in the country, you understand.

But you certainly will if you’ re in parts of the Hawkes Bay, where you’ll need the approval of Ngāti Pāhauwera; or in Matauri Bay of the Taotahi whānau; on Motiti Island of the Motiti Rohe Moana Trust and/or the Ngā Uri o ngā Tupuna whānau; in parts of Waihi of the Ngaruahine iwi; and around Waitara of the Te Atiawa Iwi Authority. In Onauku, Waikawa and Whatamango Bays and in parts of Cape Farewell you’ll need your projects approved by the Tahuaroa-Watson whānau; around Pakiri, Leigh and Goat Island you’ll need to suck up to the  Iris Cecilia ‘Timi’ Paraone whānau; around Cape Turnagain to the Poronia Hineana Te Rangi whānau; around the Waitahanui Stream to the Tangihia Hapū; and in Kennedy Bay, Mataora  Bay and Mercury Islands you’ll need the approval of some bloke called John Tamihere and the Ngāti Porou ki Hauraki iwi.

Just thought you’d like to know.

You can thank Chris Finlayson later.


  1. Insane!
    Absolutely insane.

    Gee - "thanks", Finlayson, you sell-out merchant.

  2. Two words: resource consent.


1. Commenters are welcome and invited.
2. All comments are moderated. Off-topic grandstanding, spam, and gibberish will be ignored. Tu quoque will be moderated.
3. Read the post before you comment. Challenge facts, but don't simply ignore them.
4. Use a name. If it's important enough to say, it's important enough to put a name to.
5. Above all: Act with honour. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.