Sunday 28 June 2009

Going to Jackson

There’s still apparently only one piece of news out there – and to quote David Slack it’s ‘Bye, Bye, You Peculiar Guy.’

Working on the basis that one shouldn’t speak ill of the dead without good reason, I don’t feel the need to be as ungracious as Mark Steyn’s ‘Beyond the Pale.’ I didn’t care for Michael Jackson’s music, but that’s no reason to set the dogs on him now.  Which makes Lindsay Perigo’s short tribute all the more appropriate:

There was no denying the talent, energy and charisma that made him stand out from his siblings in the Jackson Five right from the get-go. I don't know if the allegations about his private life were true , but I do believe they were often driven by mercenary opportunism. He claimed to like children for the reason that they were the only human beings who told the truth. This, as the adult world persecuted him because of his talent and eccentricity, was at least understandable. The world is certainly less colourful for his passing.

Short and to the point.

4 comments:

Falafulu Fisi said...

I bought MJ's double CD greatest hits at the weekend and at best, I enjoyed doing a bit of Thriller-type break dance on Friday night at 2 different clubs in town (where most bars in town played MJs throughout the night). If one needs to be cheerful while having a drink and ready to hit town, then MJ's music will keep you awake. If one wants to relax and ready to go to sleep, then play some Richard Wagner's classical music, but if one needs something to inspire the brain to think deep (such as concentrating on some task that involves some intensive thought process), then listen to Beethoven's Symphony which will enlighten you.

Dave Mann said...

Thanks for the link to Mark Steyn. 'Beyond The Pale' was the most erudite examination of this Michael Jackson thing that I have ever read.

I have been as exposed to popular culture as the next guy, I guess, but for the life of me I struggle to remember any fragment of any of this despicable individual's 'music'. How it could have sold so many albums is a genuine mystery to me, frankly.

KG said...

To me too, Dave.

LGM said...

In a few years everyone will have forgotten about him. The music will fade into the background of elevators, shopping malls, generic radio playlists and such.

LGM