The Maori Party is calling for limits on immigration from Western countries, accusing the Government of trying to stop the "browning of New Zealand". [Stuff, NZ]A call as absurd as it is racist.
UPDATE from around the blogs:
- Idiot/Savant: "Turia's comments are in short a nasty, racist little blurt."
- Liberty Scott: "Tariana Turia is racist and does not believe in democracy... She's called for restrictions on immigration because of what it means for Maori political representation - presumably, she doesn't like the fact that a cornerstone of liberal democracy is one adult one vote."
- Blogging It Real: "But, Mrs Turia seeks to reassure us, "we aren't playing the race card, because we are not talking about Asian immigration." Right, so it's not racist to try and shut the door to white folks, only yellow ones? Sorry, brown ones. Anyone else care to join me in a hearty "fuck you"?"
- Bryce Edwards notes: "Unfortunately Maori nationalists have for a long time been anti-immigration. In the past Maori radicals have called for a complete halt to immigration (and especially pacific island immigration) until Treaty grievances are resolved."
- Falloon: "For absurdity, Turia's comments are right up there with Maori Party Ikaroa-Rawhiti candidate Atareta Poananga's statements- "Racism cannot be exercised by Maori" & "Racism is about having personal prejudice and the power to enforce it. So Maori can not be racist.
RELATED POSTS ON: NZ Politics, Maori Party, Racism, Immigration