How was your 2006?
How was your 2006? It's almost time to be summing up your year, isn't it.
How was your 2006? Name 3 good things about it. Name 3 bad things. (5 marks). Prove using the Principle of Least Action (10 marks).
- Favourite movie seen in 2006: Strange Love of Martha Ivers. Classic film noir. Edgy, taut, climactic -- "a razor-witted dance of death." They literally do not make them like this any more: it was made in 1946.
- My best book of 2006: Sprawl: A Compact History. A ground-breaking read. Ayn Rand Answers wasn't too foul either.
- Favourite magazine: The Free Radical, of course.
- Most work: Editing The Free Radical!
- Favourite theatre performance of 2006: Berlin: A Cabaret of Desire. Loved it the first time, and heading back to The Silo for seconds this week. Score!
- Favourite musical performance: The all-NZ Parsifal, no question. Thrilling. Overwhelming. Electric. Proof of what music can do, and of what it can do for you -- and of how NZ music has reached maturity.
- Favourite architectural moment 1: Opening of and view from the new Museum Dome.
- Favourite architectural moment 2: Impending housewarming of Organon Architecture's Hamilton House.
- The three worst things: Politics, politics, and politics. What scum.
- Most shabbily treated New Zealander of 2006: Don Brash.
- Second most shabbily treated: Peter Davis.
- Favourite political moment: Announcement of Bernard Darnton's suit against Helen Clark.
- Most dishonest: Clark Government's get-out-of-jail-free legislation.
- Best thing about Not PC: The steady increase in the number of friendly yet combative commenters. [Pretentious? Huh! :-) ] And the new beer columnists. And the beer.
- Worst Not PC thing about 2006: The implosion of some formerly friendly yet combative commenters.
- Beer discoveries of 2006: Cheap imported real Czech Budvar. The fine products of the Emerson and Limburg breweries.
- Favourite early evening drink of 2006: Dry Martini.
- Late evening: Tullamore Dew.
- Holiday Drink: Hangman's Blood [see recipe at the List of Iconic Drinkers]
- Best party: Bonfire Night.
- Best sporting moment of 2006: The down-to-the-wire AFL final. What sporting magic is made from. (The All Blacks almost-clean sweep wasn't bad, either. Bring on the World Cup next year!)
- Much needed at the end of 2006: A holiday!