Monday, 13 March 2006

Heard in the big city

As the line goes, in the big city there's a million stories. And with them a million opening lines. Overheard in Chicago is trying to catalogue them all. Sample:

At the Mexican Rally on Adams and Dearborn
(Hundreds of people waving Mexican flags)

Bike Messenger: "What's going on over there?"

Onlooker: "I think it's a lawn mower sale."

North & Clybourn Red Line Stop
Bum: "Can you help me?"

Guy: "No."

Bum: "You look Jewish."

Guy: "No, I'm Atheist actually."

Bum: "Oh, so that's why you won't help me."

In front of the Sears Tower

Homeless Man: "Please help the hungry."

(woman hands man a sandwich)

Homeless Man: "Thank you very much...wait, is this a ham sandwich? How do you know I'm not a practicing Jew?"

On the South Shore
Lady On Cell: "Hi sweetie, how was school?"(listening) "What do you mean you lost your pants?"

At the University of Chicago
Guy: "I realize you're an economist, but as a human being don't you have any morals?"

Purple Line
(Father with his daughter on the train)

Daughter: "When we get home can mama read me a book?"

Father: "Why can't I read you a book?"

Daughter: "You never read to me. Mommy says it's 'cause you're retarded."

LINKS: Overheard in Chicago - [Hat tip Spitting Lama]

TAGS: Humour

No comments:

Post a Comment

1. Commenters are welcome and are invited to challenge the facts presented herein. Commenters who wish to ignore them however will themselves be ignored.
2. Read before you comment.
3. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
4. Off-topic grandstanding, trolling and spam is moderated. (Unless it's entertaining.)