Friday, July 08, 2005

Lifting your spirits

On such a day as this, what can you do to lift your spirits without forgetting the atrocities of last night?

I recommend music, especially music that represents the best of the culture that is presently under attack. Listening to the best of the west is almost like an act of defiance, a reminder that this is what we're defending against the nihilists.

So what works then? Jean Sibelius' 2nd Symphony is presently doing wonders for me. Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Rhapsody on a Theme of Thomas Tallis' has also hit the spot, and I fully expect Jesse Norman's rendition of Richard Strauss' 'Four Last Songs' and Wagner's five 'Wesendonck' lieder to do it for me shortly. And I note Craig is listening to and enjoying Noel Coward's 'London Pride,' as I did earlier when I followed the link he posted.

And even Radio New Zealand have offered something to look forward to. Tomorrow afternoon they begin a two-part programme on, in my estimation, America's greatest composer: Duke Ellington. (Word has it that RNZ have their programming streamed somewhere, but I'm blowed if I can work out where.) And Duke perhaps should have the last word on rising above adversity: "I merely took the energy it would have taken to pout," he used to say, " and I wrote some blues." And such effortless-seeming blues they are too. I can't wait.

4 Comments:

Blogger vanzyl said...

Please show support
http://withlondon.blogspot.com/

7/08/2005 06:50:00 pm  
Blogger Rick said...

What can you do without "forgetting"? Typo alert.

Alternatively...maybe tie a little red bus around your finger and set it on fire. That'll keep the memory fresh.

7/08/2005 07:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Ruth said...

What is it with this guy Rick? He obviously doesn't like you but won't be up-front with his aggression- just follows you around and comes in for a little nip now and then. A bit like Jamie Oliver when the soufflé won't rise. Well I have no such qualms - Rick I think you are a farooking retard.

It's good to see Mark and Linda here PC.

7/09/2005 11:55:00 am  
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks, Ruth!

7/10/2005 01:50:00 am  

Post a Comment

Respond with a polite and intelligent comment. (Both will be applauded.)

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. (Do others the courtesy of being honest.)

Please put a name to your comments. (If you're prepared to give voice, then back it up with a name.)

And don't troll. Please. (Contemplate doing something more productive with your time, and ours.)

<< Home