Monday, 29 September 2014

Quote of the day (a long one): On education

"The vast majority of today’s science teachers simply do not understand what it means to learn. They do not understand that there is a necessary order to learning, and that adhering strictly to this order is the only way to ensure that the student has a clear, independent grasp of the material.
    “Today’s teachers seem more concerned with enabling their students to parrot impressive-sounding words than they are with fostering their ability to think. That is why a high school chemistry teacher of Kira, one of my former students, said the following when he began a section on quantum theory: 'This material is far too complex for any of you to really understand—but don’t worry, we’ll only spend a few days on it.'
"Such 'teaching' is a betrayal of the purpose of education, which is to give children the essential knowledge and cognitive powers necessary to be independent, productive, happy adults.
    “In terms of content, to the extent that the hierarchy of knowledge is violated in students’ education, they learn nothing of the material they are being taught; they learn only to repeat what they are told.
    “In terms of method, to the extent that the principle is violated, students fail to learn what it really means to come to know something; this is replaced with the deadly lesson that knowledge of complex, abstract scientific issues is gained by parroting the words of an authority.
    "Students who have no true concept of scientific knowledge are ripe for pseudo-scientific propaganda. In today’s schools, the leading propagator of such propaganda is the environmentalist movement. For example, it is routine for seven-year-olds to be taught that catastrophic global warming is imminent, that it is caused by man, and that industry and Republicans are 'selfishly' leading us toward an apocalypse for their own short-term gain. In talking to these children and seeing them interviewed, what is most disturbing is the certainty they project in taking a position on as complex an issue as long-term climate change—when they have no knowledge of the principles of chemistry, physics, or meteorology.
    “Many parents understandably object to such indoctrination because of its anti-capitalist, pseudo-scientific content; the more fundamental objection to make, however, regards the anti-hierarchical method that it exhibits—a method that makes all learning, even of the truth, a form of indoctrination."
—Lisa VanDamme, “The Hierarchy of Knowledge: The Most Neglected Issue in Education,”
                                         OBJECTIVE STANDARD


  1. Is there anything more insidious than the complete fuck-about they're putting kids' minds through?

    Those of us who were brought up in religion, then made our own way out of it, are at least mentally prepped in some way.

    I truly despair.

    J Cuttance

  2. It's even more depressing from the inside (of schools). Trying telling students that you want to hear what they think and urge them to defend their positions instead of parrot back what they THINK I want them to say. It's a huge struggle when students BEG for worksheets because "All of this thinking is too hard." Defeated.

  3. Sounds to me like we have a serious problem with low-morale.

    We also have at least one teacher with the guts to stick his/her head up over the parapet.
    atlaseducational you got guts and guts is enough.
    And I know I know the Commies are messing with the school system, and the kids are tough to teach so I went to the trouble of brewing you a nice big fresh cup of Harden-The-F-Up.

    They are only kids and commies(no offence to kids)


    Time to fire up the troops me thinks.

    On October 29, 1941, U.K. Prime Minister Winston Churchill visited Harrow School to hear the traditional songs he had sung there as a youth, as well as to speak to the students. When he was invited to give a speech, Churchill stood before the students and said,

    "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up."

    To be successful in your life and business, here is what Winston Churchill told us:

    "The pessimist sees the problems in every opportunity. Whereas the optimist sees the opportunity in every problem"

    "Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."

    Now for some music to lift your morale.

    Rolling Stones Doom And Gloom

    I had a dream last night that I was piloting a plane
    And all the passengers were drunk and insane
    I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp
    Shot up a horde of zombies
    But I come out on top
    What's it all about?
    Guess it just reflects my mood

    Sitting in the dirt
    Feeling kind of hurt
    All I hear is doom and gloom
    And all is darkness in my room
    Through the light, your face I see
    Baby take a chance
    Baby won't you dance with me
    Lost all that treasure in an overseas war
    It just goes to show you don't get what you paid for
    Bowing to the rich and worrying about the poor
    Put my feet up on the couch and lock all the doors
    Hear a funky noise
    That's the tightening of the screws

    Feeling kind of hurt
    Sitting in the dirt
    All I hear is doom and gloom
    But when those drums go boom boom boom
    Through the night, your face I see
    Baby take a chance
    Baby won't you dance with me
    Baby won't you dance with me
    Ah yeah
    Fracking deep for oil but there's nothing in the sump
    There's kids all picking at the garbage dump
    I am running out of water so I better prime the pump
    I am trying to stay sober but I end up drunk

    We'll be eating dirt
    Living on the side of the road
    There's some food for thought
    Kind of makes your head explode
    Feeling kind of hurt
    But all I hear is doom and gloom
    And all is darkness in my room
    Through the night, your face I see
    Baby, come on
    Baby won't you dance with me
    Baby won't you dance with me
    I'm feeling kind of hurt
    Baby won't you dance with me
    Ah yeah!
    Come on
    Dance with me
    Sitting in the dirt
    Baby won't you dance with me

    I reckon your morale has been lifted
    Now light a fire under it goddammit!!!


1. Commenters are welcome and invited.
2. All comments are moderated. Off-topic grandstanding, spam, and gibberish will be ignored. Tu quoque will be moderated.
3. Read the post before you comment. Challenge facts, but don't simply ignore them.
4. Use a name. If it's important enough to say, it's important enough to put a name to.
5. Above all: Act with honour. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.