Monday 22 April 2013

“It’s not the drinking. It’s the way we’re mis-reporting the drinking”

"“We” have a major drinking problem, says the headline writers.

Bollocks, says economist Eric Crampton.* “They keep looking for dark linings to silver clouds, don't they?”

The actual results of the survey cited by the headline writers are the opposite of those reported, he summarises.

Why isn't the anti-alcohol lobby celebrating these results instead of saying how alarming they are? Do they somehow need for there to be a crisis?

Answers on a postcard, please.

* * * *

* I doubt the learned and refined Eric has ever said “Bollocks.” This is in fact my short summary of his position. Shoot me.

2 comments:

Eric Crampton said...

I try to avoid language that might put the blog on the wrong side of high schools' internet filters. I am not quite so constrained in real life.

Peter Cresswell said...

You astonish me. ;^)