DOWN TO THE DOCTOR’S: Clueless Nats needed Brash’s dressing down
Last weekend Don Brash outlined the necessary path National needs to take if Ne Zealand is ever to be extracted from the mire into which successive governments have dug it. His dressing down was necessary, because the current poll-driven government lacks any clear direction of its own.
Brash delivered a list of inconvenient truths that John Key must now address:
- National’s failure to reinstate the Youth Minimum Wage, the abandonment of which has disastrously increased unemployment among young people
- National’s failure to abolish zoning laws, which has kept housing unaffordable for many New Zealanders
- National’s failure to narrow the income gap with Australia
- National’s failure to cut government spending
- National’s failure to get rid of Labour election bribes such as subsidised student loans and child care
- National’s failure to do anything beyond window-dressing to the Resource Management Act
- National’s xenophobia about foreigners investing money in New Zealand
- National’s illusionary cut in company tax, which was wiped out by changes in rules regarding depreciation
- National’s destructive imposition of carbon taxes on industries who dare to produce something
- National’s embrace of tribalism and racism in its choice of coalition partner
This is a summary judgement that any responsible government would already have seen to.
While my party would take issue with any minimum wage laws at all, I think his list is a useful – though by no means exhaustive – indication of just how comprehensively this government has failed those who voted for it.
This is a government is utterly devoid of any vision. Like the Labour one that came before it, the dominant priority is retaining power at all costs.
There is no secret agenda. There are no secret plans to privatize anything. They have no intention at all of liberating New Zealanders from excessive taxation and regulation.
What a complete waste of time these last two years have been.
What a vacuous waste of space this Key-led Government has been.
Even though he must surely know Dr Brash’s prescription is correct, I hold no expectation that John Key will have listened to anything that was said to him.
Unless serious moves are made to stop the government living beyond its means, however—which will not happen as long as Bill English retains a ministerial house—the standard of living for Kiwis will only continue to drop further.
What a waste. What a complete bloody disgrace.
* * Read Dr McGrath’s column here ever Wednesday at NOT PC * *