Thursday 14 October 2010

Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose - John Singer Sargent

Carnation_Lily_Lily_Rose_B

Anybody can paint a sunset.  And virtually everybody who can hold a brush and paint straight has painted “the innocence of childhood.” But only an artist of the calibre of Sargent could combine the two to create this unforgettable scene, evocative of our own summer childhoods when snatching that last moment of daylight seemed so precious, and so important.

The skill it takes makes me proud to be a long-lost, distant, relation.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I love this painting. A smaller reproduction hangs in my youngest's room. The original is spectacular as its large orange lanterns positively glow.

C. August said...

Sargent's work makes me proud to be human!

Olivia Pierson said...

Truly beautiful - I love Sargent, but this one particularly is just aglow with tender feelings and warm benevolence. Wonderful painting.