Friday, 9 July 2010

‘Pursuit’ – Michael Newberry

Pursuit
Pursuit, 1984
oil on linen, 80 x 60 inches
What a stunning piece of art! Just who is pursuing whom, and for what? Perhaps the artist's explanation might help. . .
_Quote With a passion bordering on insane somnambulism I poured everything I had into pursuing the furthest reaches of my art. It was wild. I worked 16 hours a day for six months, somewhere I remember the crunch of ice outside under my shoes. I worked to integrate: the fantastic dramatic spotlight affect of Rembrandt; the wet-clothe technique of ancient Greek sculptures; the romantic themes of Delacroix; and the pure vibrant contrasting colors of the Impressionists (the painting has no black). I made more studies than I can remember. And it slowly took form. Once, for this piece, I went into Wall Street late at night to make a pastel color study of the granite wall of a skyscraper; got very curious looks from a patrol... Pursuit is the work I am most proud of.”
Visit the artist’s blog here, and tell him how much you love it. He’ll love you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1. Commenters are welcome and are invited to challenge the facts presented herein. Commenters who wish to ignore them however will themselves be ignored.
2. Read before you comment.
3. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
4. Off-topic grandstanding, trolling and spam is moderated. (Unless it's entertaining.)