The World’s 5 most over-rated tourist sites
The Times lists five well over-rated “ancient and historical sites” that are on the list of most would-be travellers, and offers five lesser-known alternatives that you might want aim for instead. The five most overrated are:
- Stonehenge. A sad and inaccessible pile of stones in a cow paddock. Very underwhelming.
- Petra, Jordan. Over-visited, over-crowded, and being overwhelmed by the tourism village itself.
- The Colosseum, Rome. Over-visited, over-crowded and now a traffic island.
- Machu Picchu, Peru. Costs an arm and a leg and an uncomfortable journey to get there. But if you do get there . . .
- Angkor, Cambodia. Now far too overcrowded to appreciate the majesty in the peace and quiet they need.
I’ve only been to one of the five myself, but the problem of overcrowding exists in every major tourist site. So how does this list fit with your experience?
Check out the full story and the suggested alternatives here.