For American readers bemused at the appearance of what looked like John Boy Walton on your normal evening broadcast of The Late Show last night, that was in fact (and I hang my head in shame as I say this) New Zealand’s Prime Minister.
TVNZ has a rundown of the appearance, which included Key presenting David Letterman with an Indy-500 champion Scott Dixon t-shirt (yep, folks, not all NZers are as bumbling as Bret McKenzie and John Boy), and Key’s recitation of this top ten list.
John Key's top 10 reasons for visiting New Zealand are:
10. Auckland airport now has Cinnabon (a chain of American baked goods stores and kiosks)
9. We have the loosest slot machines in the Pacific rim
8. It's only a convenient 20 hour flight away
7. It's like England, without the attitude
6. Leno's on at 9 o'clock
5. Get the whanau together, stay in a bach, crack open the chilly bin and slap on your jandals
4. Visit in the next 30 days and I'll pick you up at the airport
3. 70% of our energy is generated through renewable sources - they don't all have to be jokes
2. We drive on the left side of the road, like the British and Lindsay Lohan
1. Unlike most of the world, we still like Americans.