Thursday, 10 July 2008

Queen of the Night

Schinkel_Friedrich_The_Queen_Of_The_Night

Funny. I spent an evening with a friend from the Opera Factory not long ago comparing performances of the Queen of the Night from Mozart's 'Magic Flute,' his very best opera, and then what do you know: these recent performances posted at YouTube showed up in my inbox this morning from a list that I frequent. Now, I haven't yet had a chance to compare them, so if you'd like to let me know which ones you rate, I'd be grateful.

Diana Damrau
Acte I. www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUOmdxo2jE www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysCvFTE9O8Y
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZG90IhvGZk www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuKxL4LOqc

Nathalie Dessay:
Aix-en-Provence, 1996:
Acte I. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvRPekFqJg
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yf6RHIQjQ

Paris, 2006:
Act(e) I: www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ODbDKmSEc
Act(e) II: www.youtube.com/watch?v=02yf6RHIQjQ

Edita Gruberova:
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXHTHgNfnw

Pour cet extrait, le volume de vos haut-parleurs devrait être réglé un peu plus fort.

Elena Mosuc:
Acte I. www.youtube.com/watch?v=gri31wll8aU
Acte II. www.youtube.com/watch?v=bofe64-dG0A

The image, by the way, is the Queen of the Night, by Carl Friedrich Schinkel.

1 comment:

  1. Magic Flute

    I listen to that CD most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

And make some effort to stay on topic.

(Trolling will be moderated. If it isn't entertaining.)