Monday 21 July 2008

Afternoon in Grahamstown

Yes, I had a great weekend down in Thames with friends -- and thanks for asking. It was capped off with a phone call from another friend telling me Geelong (number one on the AFL table) had just beaten the Bulldogs (who are number two) by sixty points. Sixty points!

Thames has come of age. Just as myself and CP had decided that Thames very definitely isn't a 'martini city' in the manner movingly described by Voltz, when hey presto we stumbled upon a newly renovated "lounge bar" at the Grahamstown end of Thames called 'Nectar': the second-smallest bar in the country, which not only had great atmosphere, not only was open at the time in question (well, openable), but had the decency to allow me to play barman myself. You can't beat that.

In answer to the question, "Why visit Thames?" let me give you a simple answer. There we were in Grahamstown, Thames, and in just a few short steps we had an excellent martini in a friendly bar ('Nectar'), bought a book in a second-hand bookshop that I've long sought (the memoirs of Alexander Kerensky), and had the best afternoon meal I've had ever, at Sola Cafe.

Why wouldn't you want to visit?

1 comment:

Elijah Lineberry said...

Sounds a splendid weekend, Peter!