Friday 10 August 2007

Libertarian-lite?

If John Key's core philosophy is Labour-Lite (if indeed he can be said to have anything resembling a "core philosophy"), then as NBR suggests "core Act ... philosophy" is "libertarian-lite." Or should be.

Interesting analogy, no? National's recent strategy is to outflank Labour on the left. Meanwhile NBR suggests ACT's latest policy (Hide's Regulatory Responsibility Bill) is at least heading north.

Progress? Perhaps. At best the Bill will remove some of Nanny's constraints on liberty and prosperity and just getting your day's work done. And if nothing else, the Select Committee hearing on the Bill offers you the opportunity to front up to parliamentarians and explain to them why everything is their fault. But be quick. As Lindsay Mitchell explains,
"Unfortunately submissions close [today], BUT your written submission needn't be lengthy. Make sure you indicate you want to speak directly to the committee and save the bulk of your story for that occasion. The members will all say they have read your submission and expect to hear something different or additional anyway (my experience) plus it is a chance for them to ask you questions.

Again, I cannot stress what a rare opportunity to do something about unwelcome and unwieldy government intervention this is. Don't waste it. A little bit of time spent now could save you bucketloads in the future.
The Cut Red Tape website has details on how to make a quick submission.

2 comments:

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Thanks PC. I am about to send my submission on-line. The Cutredtape website can guide you to the site. Even a few words of support will be registered and worth sending. I will ask to speak to the committee. I have focussed on the obsessive want to control risk.

Anonymous said...

I said how talented I was and how I am off to Europe and if they want talented people like me back they need to cut red tape.