Govt confirms downgraded Eden Pk for CupThe bloody thing is still costing us $190 million and counting. What's wrong with just the temporary seating for goodness's sake? That could be paid for out of the proceeds of the damn Cup!
The Government has confirmed the upgrade of Eden Park will involve a new South Stand and temporary seating.
UPDATE: To help put the costs in perspective, here's a comparison of stadium costs I posted previously, based on estimates announced in the press:
- Eden Park -- temporary stands only (about $45-100m)
- Jade Stadium -- additions to a seating capacity of 60,000 ($80m)
- North Harbour -- additions to a seating capacity of 60,000 ($226m)
- Carlaw Park -- new stadium and Domain renovations (say $750m, minus Eden Park's sale)
- Wiri - new stadium and rail lines (say $750m, minus Eden Park's sale)
- Telstra Stadium, Sydney -- (you could buy ownership for just A$200m -- Stadium New Zealand in Sydney!)
- Waka Stadium -- what cost?
- Eden Park -- gold-plated option ($385m plus)
- Bedpan -- new stadium, plus new facility for Ports ($1 billion plus)
RELATED: Stadium, Politics-NZ