- A meeting to protest the waterfront stadium and the railroading through of the waterfront option will be held in Auckland's Aotea Square at 12:30pm, with speakers from Rodney Hide to Keith Locke.
- The protest meeting is in advance of the Auckland City Council's meeting this evening to vote on their preference.
- That vote may be delayed by the court hearing this morning seeking an injunction on any vote, on the basis that councils are acting illegally by allowing insufficient time for consultation.
Because it's clear if you list the stadiums in order of preference (my preference) based on either quoted costs (or estimated costs of $9,000/seat) and their long-term potential for actually being used regularly and contributing to the city, neither the full Eden Park option nor the Bedpan would figure highly.
- Eden Park -- temporary stands (about $45-100m)
- Jade Stadium -- additions to 60,000 ($80m)
- North Harbour -- additions to 60,000 ($226m)
- Carlaw Park -- new stadium and Domain renovations (say $750m, minus Eden Park's sale)
- Wiri - new stadium and rail lines (say $750m, minus Eden Park's sale)
- Telstra Stadium, Sydney -- (you could buy ownership for just A$200m -- Stadium New Zealand in Sydney!)
- Waka Stadium -- what cost?
- Eden Park -- gold-plated option ($385m plus)
- Bedpan -- new stadium, plus new facility for Ports ($1 billion plus)
RELATED: Stadium, Politics-NZ, Auckland