Tuesday 28 November 2006

NEW SITE - An Artist's Voice: A Radical Perspective

Introducing a New Website, from artist Michael Newberry. Here is part of his statement for it:

An Artist's Voice: A Radical Perspective

The Carrot and The Stick

What motivates you to be the best that you can be? For me, it is the carrot and the stick. By visualizing the best results of my skills and the disasters of my worst attributes, the process somehow manages to kick my butt in gear to correct my mistakes and light a white-hot fire underneath me to relish my best.

Many of you have read the Mini-Tutorials, which show the wonderful ways artists create and solve art problems. Now, I would like to introduce you to my more polemical side, A Radical Perspective. It's a new website on aesthetic commentary.

A Radical Perspective

In the A Radical Perspective, I also link to artists, architects, designers, and philosophers, who are also personal friends of mine. These individuals, in their creations, are making fresh insights and brilliant aesthetic contributions to our culture.

Critic's Credo
Finally, here is my critic's credo taken from A Radical Perspective:

The joy of creation is one of the great gifts of human ability. It is not easy and it is not automatic: there can be many painful twists and turns, and many mistakes made. Yet when it works--when all the complex building blocks come together to express something meaningful--it transports the soul.

Good criticism is about identifying what works and what doesn't. All critics have a perspective and an agenda. Mine is radical: I believe in uncompromising and innovative methods, fundamentals, and art that values human existence.

From that perspective, I hope you will enjoy it when I take off my gloves and engage my more polemical nature.

Enjoy life and art,

Michael Newberry
November 25th, 2006

No comments: