Thursday, February 02, 2006

Thank the Lords for some religious sanity

Thank the Lords for comedians, a rush of sanity to the heads of some British MPs, and Tony Blair's decision to step outside the House. If he continues to attempt measures like the only-just-rejected Racial & Religious Hatred Bill, Blair should step outside and make sure it's for quite some time.

So why thank the Lords? LibertyScott explains:
Meanwhile, the House of Lords is earning its keep defending these freedoms. First it defeated the ID card bill, by insisting that it be explicitly voluntary. Now it has referred the Racial and Religious Hatred Bill back to the House of Commons, after removing the element that would have prohibited “insulting or abusive” speech against religions, and inserting “intent” as a critical part of offences under the Bill. What the Bill intends to do is to prohibit the spreading of hatred against religions, with the emphasis being to target Muslims and Christians who incite holy war against each other. In fact, a coalition of comedians, Christians, Muslims, libertarians, humanists and other atheists have been opposing the Bill.
So, good on the House of Lords. It almost makes one long for an intelligent Upper House in NZ with all-powerful rights of veto over whatever gets passed up the chain. (I can dream, can't I?)

Meanwhile, The Whig (bless him) has taken this opportunity to congratulate Rowan Atkinson on his successful campign to overturn the Bill by composing a wee song for him, and taken advantage of his newly re-established freedom to insult religions by, well, insulting a religion.

Bye y'all, I'm off to have a Danish or two to celebrate the British victory and the Danish demonstration of its importance (and have you heard the rumour that whole storm in a burqa was a setup by Danish muslims to have press censorship introduced? Slimy bastards.)

Links: Insulting Religions is a right - LibertyScott
The Black Adder Strikes Again! - The Whig
...In Which The Whig Attempts to Spark a Major International Diplomatic Incident - The Whig
Jihad agaisnt Danish Newspaper - Brussels Journal
Take Note Cardiff: We Are All Danes Now - Brussels Journal

3 Comments:

Blogger Save Emma said...

Please help me out! I had $250k stolen from me online. I need money to feed my kids and pay my rent. Please send me $5. That is one Venti drink at starbucks for you, but it will help me out more than you know!! You can click the link below or visit http://www.saveemma.blogspot.com to read my story. EVEN IF YOU CAN'T HELP ME, PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. I AM DESPERATE!!! I will send you my ebook on how to stay safe on the internet.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=wholesalehotty%40earthlink%2enet&item_name=Donation&amount=5%2e00&no_shipping=0&no_note=1¤cy_code=USD&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

My Blog

PLEASE HELP ME

All I am asking is that you buy my ebook for $5 to help me raise money to pay my rent and buy food for my 2 kids. Thanks.

Here is my story.
Hi! My name is Emma and I desperatly need your help!! About a year ago I decided to start my own online company and take in all the rewards of the internet. Everything started off great! Then I found a new supplier. I checked them out and they had a legitimate business license and so I started making sales.

Then my whole world fell to peices!! You see I took over $250,000 in orders and I was so excited that my family was going to have an awesome Christmas and all of our financial troubles were going to be gone forever!!

But then, About 7 days after giving birth to my beautiful new baby I discovered that my wonderful supplier wasn't as wonderful as I had thought!! It seems that he wasn't even the person that I thought he was!! All I knew about him now is that he is $250,000 richer and I was screwed! It turns out that he took off with all my money and I had no recourse. I have filed a complaint with every law office under the sun, but nothing has happened and no one will help me.

Here I was with a brand new baby and nothing but $250,000 in debt!! I went from thinking I had hit the jackpot to the most ultimate low ANYONE can imagine. I didn't owe a company $250,000 I owed hard working people with families this money!!

Luckily I didn't spend the $50,000 I had made in profit for the sales so I immeadiatly paid back that money. My next hurdle was to pay back the other $200,000. Being that my husband works and I don't this wasn't going to be easy!! I was able to get a second mortgage to pay back another $100,000 I owed, but now I can't afford to pay back the loan or the rest of the people I owe! I am in risk of losing my home and potential going to jail!! I don't know what to do. I have no one to turn to! I can't imagine what I will do with no home and a family. I have cried my self to sleep every night since this has occured. My poor baby and my toddler have no clue what is going on, but I can't be the mother I KNOW I can be with all of this looming over me. My relationship with my husband has suffered severly and I have been horribly depressed. This is where I need your help. ANYTHING you can send will help. If 40,000 send just $5 I will be able to pay off the loan and finally break even again. If 20,000 send $10 I can pay it off. If 10,000 send $20 then, well you get the picture.

I am by far not the only good person that this has happened to either! This happens every single day to many people. It just goes to show the old saying is true. "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is." Please make sure you tell everyone you know about this so that they don't become victims thems selves. Please do NOT trust anyone. If you are purchasing a product over the net, wether it be from an online auction or a website make sure that you ONLY pay via Credit Card for your own safety. DO NOT pay via bank wire transfer like me and so many of my colleagues have.

Please help me! I am a good person! I paid all of these people back and made sure that they didn't have to suffer like my family has and I really need to pay back the rest. These people, the supplier, took what is suppossed to be the happiest time of my life and they completly destroyed me! My son is 2 months old now and I still can't help but cry when I think of what a set back this has been for my family.
I am lucky enough to have a husband that loves me and even though he had done quite a bit of yelling and crying, I know that he knows that this isn't my fault! Although I haven't had the heart to tell him the full extent of it and I know if he finds out we will end up divorced. I know now what I did was stupid, but unfortunatly I put faith into the wrong people. I did everything I could to check the legitmacy of the company I sent money to before sending them this money. I even sent them a small amount initially for a "sample" order which I recieved with no problems. Please help me.

For donating I will email you my E-Book on how to keep you and your identity safe on the internet. I will also post your (only if you want me to)Name and email or business information on this site as a thank you. I will also send you a reciept for tax deduction.

$5 is a Frappacino at Starbucks, but right now it could keep me from losing my house. If you would like to email me please feel free to do so at help@saveemma.com I can provide proof of my losses for those of you who would like to use this as a tax right off. I don't want to display that information here for safety reasons. I appreciate everyone that has helped me thus far. I have gotten a lot of free advertising in order to do this and I very much appreciate it.

2/02/2006 01:41:00 pm  
Blogger Lewis said...

The House of Lords has been much more effective, mind, since Labour reformed it (aka the House of Lords Act 1999) in 1999. Dividing the powers of the Upper House further has also been a positive move, IMHO.

2/02/2006 07:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cartoons of Mohammad with a bomb in his turban is about "Press Freedom" and should be celebrated...

Cartoons of hook-nosed money grabbing Jews is about "Anti-Semitism" and should be condemned....

2/04/2006 02:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Respond with a polite and intelligent comment. (Both will be applauded.)

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. (Do others the courtesy of being honest.)

Please put a name to your comments. (If you're prepared to give voice, then back it up with a name.)

And don't troll. Please. (Contemplate doing something more productive with your time, and ours.)

<< Home