Sunday, 25 September 2005
The 'cathedral of power'
Gilbert Scott's Battersea Power Station: commissioned in 1933, abandoned in 1983, and sadly (like the once-majestic Meremere Power Station on the banks of the Waikato) derelict ever since. Known in its day as the 'cathedral of power,' and a London landmark since the day it was built. Like the Meremere station in its day, this is great industrial architecture.