Fact is, there are a lot of other reasons for consent figures to plummet, most of them involved with out of control red tape flowing on from the leaky homes hysteria:
- the many, many changes to the building code, which taken together have delayed the preparation of plans to be submitted for consent ;
- the legion of associated uncertainties with these code changes, particularly as to who shoulders the risk should the prescribed methods, materials and details fail;
- the long, long, loooong delays in getting consents processed;
- the lengthy lead-times just to get an appointment to submit your consent application;
- the number of builders and developers who have chosen to leave the industry because of much of this nonsense, a number which anecdotal evidence suggests is high.