Sunday 2 September 2018

QotD: "If people define political correctness as being civil and being polite, then I’m on that side. But I don’t really think that’s what political correctness is. I think political correctness is the restraint on inquiry."


"I agree with civility. If people define political correctness as being civil and being polite, then I’m on that side. I’m on the side of not being aggressively provocative and overly polemical with one’s perceived political opponents. But I don’t really think that’s what political correctness is. I think political correctness is the restraint on inquiry...
    "The norms where expressing a racial epithet and using race to insult someone—there should be a taboo against that. But I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about when we’re talking about political correctness. We’re talking about the tool that’s used to stop people from having independent thought..."
~ founder and editor of Quillette, Claire Lehmann, in conversation with Tyler Cowen [read transcript or listen the the conversation here]
.

No comments: