Saturday 29 September 2018

QotD: "Her trigger was independence. Books gave her control: 'Every choice was my choice. Then I could control what went into my head by plugging into new worlds, learning new things and just imagining a different life.'”


"'My parents didn’t read very much,' she says. 'But I can’t remember not having books. I’d go to the library every week, search every shelf with children’s books, then go home with a stack.' At school she always signed on as a library helper, and no surprise, her shop looks very much like a well-ordered library.  
"Her trigger was independence. Books gave her control: 'Every choice was my choice. Then I could control what went into my head by plugging into new worlds, learning new things and just imagining a different life.'” 
      ~ Maud Cahill, owner of secondhand bookstore Jason Books in downtown Auckland, explaining her childhood love of books and libraries.

No comments: