Tuesday 21 June 2016

Transcript: No oxygen, just Newspeak

 

The Obama administration released the transcript of the Orlando murderer* making its 9/11 call, but severaly redacted in order not to give his causes what Margaret Thatcher called “the oxygen of publicity.” As with Thatcher’s efforts, the attempt simply added humour to the tragedy:

Orlando Police Dispatcher (OD)
Shooter (OM)
    OD: Emergency 911, this is being recorded.
    OM: In the name of God the Merciful, the beneficial [in Arabic]
    OD: What?
    OM: Praise be to God, and prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of God [in Arabic].
           I let you know, I'm in Orlando and I did the shootings.
    OD: What's your name?
    OM: My name is I pledge of allegiance to [omitted].
    OD: Ok, What's your name?
    OM: I pledge allegiance to [omitted] may God protect him [in Arabic], on behalf of [omitted].
    OD: Alright, where are you at?
    OM: In Orlando.
    OD: Where in Orlando?
[End of call.]

* PS: No, I won’t be using the murderer’s name. I have a policy:

No comments: