Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Transcript: No oxygen, just Newspeak

 

The Obama administration released the transcript of the Orlando murderer* making its 9/11 call, but severaly redacted in order not to give his causes what Margaret Thatcher called “the oxygen of publicity.” As with Thatcher’s efforts, the attempt simply added humour to the tragedy:

Orlando Police Dispatcher (OD)
Shooter (OM)
    OD: Emergency 911, this is being recorded.
    OM: In the name of God the Merciful, the beneficial [in Arabic]
    OD: What?
    OM: Praise be to God, and prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of God [in Arabic].
           I let you know, I'm in Orlando and I did the shootings.
    OD: What's your name?
    OM: My name is I pledge of allegiance to [omitted].
    OD: Ok, What's your name?
    OM: I pledge allegiance to [omitted] may God protect him [in Arabic], on behalf of [omitted].
    OD: Alright, where are you at?
    OM: In Orlando.
    OD: Where in Orlando?
[End of call.]

* PS: No, I won’t be using the murderer’s name. I have a policy:

No comments:

Post a Comment

1. Commenters are welcome and invited.
2. Off-topic commenters however will be ignored.
3. Read the post before you comment.
4. Challenge facts presented if wrong, but don't ignore them when they're not.
5. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
6. Off-topic grandstanding, trolling and spam is moderated. (Unless it's entertaining.)