Here’s the message about tonight’s meeting, from our friends at the Auckland Uni Econ Group:
Sadly, the history of The Great Depression continues to grow more relevant by the day, yet today very little is known about--at least, very little that is true.
This week, we look at a few of the many myths around the Great Depression, and ask:
- Was the Depression really a Crisis of Capitalism?
- Did margin trading on the share market truly bring on the Crash?
- Which great economist lost his shirt in the Crash he never saw coming?
- Did the Fed really do too little to help?
- Did Herbert Hoover just sit back and watch things get worse?
- Were Franklin Roosevelt there, and Michael Savage here, chiefly responsible for getting things back on track?
- Was it World War II that finally brought about the Recovery?
Join us tonight as we examine these stories and many more about the FIRST Great Depression.
Date: Monday, September 10
Location: Room 215, Level 2, Business School, Auckland University
Time: 6pm – 7pm