Our friends at the Auckland Uni Economics Group report they’re
regurgitating nonsense enduring exams this week, but the hardy souls are meeting this evening nonetheless. Here’s their announcement:
Tonight, we will be watching a video presentation by economic historian Thomas Woods, based on his 2009 book Meltdown (subtitle: “A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse”). Including:
- How the government and the media created the myth that this crisis is so complicated that people should not question the government's response but leave it up to the "experts."
- That no amount of government regulation or "brilliant" politician can fix a broken system—a new system is the best solution.
- How politicians and the media refuse to talk about the role of the Federal Reserve in this crisis, but it is at the heart of the problem.
- The media has created the myth that we need a "new New Deal" to get out of this crisis.
- The cold truth that capitalism isn't the culprit—the government is.
Join us, and join in the discussion afterwards:
WHAT: “Meltdown,” vidoe presentation by Thomas E Woods, followed by Q&A
WHEN: Tonight, Mondy, at 6pm
WHERE: Case Room 3, Level Zero, University of Auckland Business School
See you there!