Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ayn Rand Goes Mainstream... In Ecuador

Guest post by Jeff Perren

Gabriela Calderon de Burgos writing at Cato gives us the details, and this quote that appeared on the front page of Ecuador's largest newspaper:

When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion–when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing–when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors–when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you–when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice–you may know that your society is doomed.
Yes, that quote does remind me a lot of contemporary America. No doubt it reminds a lot of you lot in NZ of New Zealand.

But its presence in an Ecuadorian newspaper also gives me some hope and reminds me of something Nathaniel Branden said in the original Basic Principles of Objectivism course way back in the early '60s. He was lamenting the loss of 75% of Aristotle's works from the fire in the Library of Alexandria. (I, too, mourn that event still.) But he noted, referring to the remaining 25% aiding the birth of the Renaissance: "A little reason goes a long way."

Indeed it does. Whether that little will be enough in our present circumstances, it is too soon to tell.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Creating the good life: applying Aristotle's wisdom to find meaning and happiness" by James O'Toole ~(a student of Mortimer Adler ~ How to understand Aristotle; 10 philosophical mistakes and many more).
O'Toole translates Aristotle as opposed to individualism of any kind; especially rugged individualism. Aristotle is a communitarian. We achieve excellence so we can improve our fellow humans. Non virtuous to do otherwise.
Rather surprised by that interpretation.
Peter

7/25/2011 02:43:00 pm  
Blogger Julian said...

Thanks for pointing that out Jeff. Ayn is dismissed by many but here she is, so many years after her death, making her point with precision and clarity on the front page of a newspaper. Stunning!

I spent time with a number of passionate advocates of liberty and Objectivism when I was in Ecuador. It took many years, but their ideas are now finding fertile ground.

Julian

7/25/2011 03:44:00 pm  
Blogger Julian said...

And the link to the front page of the newspaper (in Spanish) is HERE

I like how the page is blank except for the quote. Nicely done.

Julian

7/25/2011 04:01:00 pm  
Blogger Majid Ali said...

Please for humanity's sake please do it once
I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help PAY MY Tuition Fees. I need your only 3 to 5 minutes approximately

What you have to do is
1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from ADBoxes and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.

NOTE:DO NOT visit the blog directly. Visit through Google . Only ONE click is needed.
I will be grateful to you.
May God Bless You.

7/25/2011 05:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Respond with a polite and intelligent comment. (Both will be applauded.)

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. (Do others the courtesy of being honest.)

Please put a name to your comments. (If you're prepared to give voice, then back it up with a name.)

And don't troll. Please. (Contemplate doing something more productive with your time, and ours.)

<< Home