“God damn you if the only two words you can find to put together when
talking about people who leave their homelands to seek a better life for
themselves and their families are ‘illegal aliens.’”
- James Kilbourne
What does an Australian Prime Minister do when she’s in desperate electoral straits? Bingo! She pulls out John Howard’s “attack the boat people” card—a “flood” of 1500 souls trying to “pour” into a country of 20 million—in an attempt to nullify the third of three pressing Australian electoral issues. Imperator Fish gets it right:
“You know it's election year in Australia when politicians over there start beating up on asylum seekers.”
And on this one she’s looking for John Key’s help. On that, I’m with the No Right Turn blog:
This is not an issue of Australia being “flooded” with hordes of refugees it can’t handle. The simple numbers themselves show that to be untrue. This is simply the way that Australia plays the race card—something it still unfortunately does too well.
And Key saying we’ve “got skin in the game” because “all of the intelligence advice that I have been getting as Prime Minister indicates we will be having boats coming to New Zealand”? Then Prime Minister, you need to be getting better intelligence. This is simply your own fantasy.
- Bloodstains on the Refugee Red Carpet – Peter Cresswell
- Welfare State Leaves Boat-People to Die – Peter Cresswell
- The Inhumane Immigration Policy of our Welfare State – Julian Pistorius
- Open immigration, Si! Open borders, No! - Sixth Column
- Stand in Line . . . and Wait! – Not PC
- Immigration and Individual Rights – Craig Biddle
- The New Colossus (1883) - US Department of State