Friday, April 23, 2010

‘Off to the English Civil War’ – Richard Lovelace

A bitter-sweet poem for the start of Anzac Weekend, of a husband going off to war …

‘Off to the English Civil War’

Tell me not, sweet, I am unkind
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
To warlike arms I fly.

True, a new mistress now I serve
The first foe in the field
And with a sterner faith embrace
The sword, a horse, a shield.

Yet this inconstancy is such
As thou too shalt adore.
I could not love thee, dear, so much
Loved I not honour more.

– Richard Lovelace (1618-1657)



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Mann said...

Very moving.

Just a small point though... I don't think Richard Lovelace lived his life over 161 years going backwards in time (!)

4/23/2010 11:11:00 pm  
Blogger ngapaki said...

Cramped in that Funnelled Hole

Cramped in that funnelled hole, they watched the dawn
Open a jagged rim around; a yawn
Of death's jaws, which had all but swallowed them
Stuck in the bottom of his throat of phlegm.

They were in one of many mouths of Hell
Not seen of seers in visions, only felt
As teeth of traps; when bones and the dead are smelt
Under the mud where long ago they fell
Mixed with the sour sharp odour of the shell.

Wilford Owen

4/23/2010 11:14:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner:

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.


-Randall Jarrell

4/23/2010 11:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Respond with a polite and intelligent comment. (Both will be applauded.)

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. (Do others the courtesy of being honest.)

Please put a name to your comments. (If you're prepared to give voice, then back it up with a name.)

And don't troll. Please. (Contemplate doing something more productive with your time, and ours.)

<< Home