Made your New Year's Resolutions yet? [updated]
Made your New Year's Resolutions yet? "Unfortunately," observes Alex Epstein, "this ritual commitment to self-improvement is widely viewed as something of a joke." So here's his idea [hat tip Voices for Reason]:
This New Year’s, resolve to think about how to make your life better, not just once a year, but every day. Resolve to set goals, not just in one or two aspects of life, but in every important aspect and in your life as a whole. Resolve to pursue the goals that will make you successful and happy, not as the exception in a life of passivity, but as the rule that becomes second-nature."
See how that works for you.
And it's not too late--just resolve to be more punctual in future.
UPDATE: Instead of looking back like everyone does around New Year, I'm looking forward--forward to headlines that I'd like to see sometime in 2010 [hat tip The New Clarion, from whom I've pinched a couple]. Only some of them are likely:
- NZers See Through Spineless Nats: "No Clue What They Stand For" say Vox Pops
- New Finance Minister Announces Cross-the-Board Tax Cuts: "Time We Kept Our Promises" he says
- Environment Minister Scraps RMA: Announces "Property Rights Best For Environment"
- "Gareth Morgan hasn't done well for us--too much time off the ball" say Investors
- Inquiry Into ClimateGate Finds Widespread Corruption. NIWA Sacks Salinger's Spawn
- Warmists Routed as Emissions Trading Schemes Collapse
- Bennett's Ministry Told "Start Publishing Honest Unemployment Figures": "If You Can't Or Won't Work Then You're Unemployed, No Matter What Your Benefit is Called" says Minister
- Ben Bernanke Fails to Put Multi-Trillion Dollar Genie Back in Bottle: Senate Demands His Head
- Obama says "Ayn Rand was right!": Begins Dismantling Big Govt
- United Nations Announces "No Money for Development Programmes": Helen Clark to Head Back Home
- Teachers Demand Separation of School & State: "Time for Ministry to Go" says Principal
- Rugby Finds Mojo Again, Makes New Fans: "First Time I've Seen Rucking In Years" says Meads
- Geelong Wins Third AFL Premiership in Four Years
- Another Al Gore Lecture on GW Cancelled Due to Extreme Cold, and Violent Disinterest
- Businessmen Gain Spine, Start Defending Themselves & Capitalism
- "I'm Going on a Quango Hunt," says Brownlee, "and I'm Taking My Axe!"
- Economists Announce Huge Attendance at 'Mises Circle' Conference in Wellington: Call for Reserve Bank to Shut Down
- News Bosses Can Braindead News, Hire Intelligent Presenters: "We're Going to Stop Insulting Our Audience's Intelligence," says Mogul
- Nats Prepare Roster of SOEs for Sale, and Close Down Many More: "We're Paying Back Debt and Getting Out Of Your Way" says new Finance Minister
- David Cunliffe Enrols in Humility Training: "Crunch Came When Head Too Big For Hat" says Wife
- Greens Say Resource Consent Process "Too Authoritarian": "Common Law Works Best" says Norman
- Maoris Look Forward To Day in Court After Simple Repeal of Foreshore & Seabead Act: "Common Law Works Best" says Tariana
- Kelsey & Colleagues Sacked as Students Demand Rational Education on Campus: "Sick of Warmed-Over Marxism and Post-Modern Crap" say Student Leaders