Warmists’ science hacked – and exposed! [update 8]
The emails of several leading warmist scientists' look to have been hacked, going back for at least thirteen years, back when these people thought they were untouchable.
“Scientists” included in the hacked emails include Phil Jones, the man who “corrected” temperature data for the IPCC to account for the Urban Heat Island effect and then “lost” the raw, uncorrected data (I “would rather destroy the CRU data than release it” he says in one email); Michael Mann, who concocted the bogus ‘Hockey Stick’ used by the IPCC to deny the Medieval Warm Period (“'As we all know, this isn't about truth at all, its about plausibly deniable accusations” he says in another); Keith Briffa, the author of a later hockey stick (whose deceptions have already been uncovered by Steve McIntyre); self-confessed liar Stephen Schneider, an adviser to Al Gore; and James Hansen, the man who insists coal trains are like the death trains to the gas chambers, and who also advises The Goracle on warmism.
If genuine, and there’s every reason to suppose they are (even if the words Ian Wishart are included in some of the alleged verifications of them), the emails take you “behind the curtain” in the preparation and presentation of the last several years of warmist revelations. If what’s been uncovered is genuine, there’s evidence here of systematic deception:
- concealing real doubts about the theory of man-made global warming (AGW);
- concealing inconvenient facts that don’t fit the theory of AGW;
- misdirecting attention away from the truth (a tactic being used as we speak by the Real Climate bluffers;
- confessing that PR trumps truth;
- massaging raw data to fit the AGW theories;
- massaging models to make the data fit AGW theories
- destroying the very data on which the world’s temperature record is based;
- conspiring to avoid releasing public data to the public under Freedom of Information requests;
- turning peer-reviewed science journals into shills for warmism;
- using supposedly “neutral” climate blog Real Climate to control the message and hide dissent;
- cynically blackballing climate skeptics to avoid confronting their arguments.
Taken together, they suggest, as even the New York Times sniffily admits, “that climate scientists conspired to overstate the case for a human influence on climate change.”
It’s already been called “the blue-dress moment,” the 'Climate Pentagon Papers' and 'a scandal that is one of the greatest in modern science'. It’s like lifting a rock and seeing what’s scuttling round underneath the surface. If true, this is a scandal that should do to politicised science what the global economic meltdown should have done to mainstream macroeconomics.
“I didn't say impossible [to deny] — the [media are] fully vested partners in the global warming industry, because catastrophism sells. But so does scandal, and this appears to be the makings of a very big one. Imagine this sort of news coming in the field of AIDS research. Then reflect that the taxpayer spends more on climate-related research than on the entire suite of AIDS programs, far beyond drug research.”
And even more than AIDS research, the warmists’ “science” is used to justify shutting down or seriously shacking the industry that keeps us all alive.
So, very hard to deny, very hard to ignore -- Though I’m sure, like the paid warmist shills at the likes of Real Climate (whose leading author Gavin Schmidt is himself included in the emails), they’ll try. They’ll be trying very hard – after all, it’s their meal ticket that’s at stake.
Lots of links, discussion and analysis all around the place about the hacks and what they’ve revealed, especially at Watts Up With That, Climate Depot, Climate Audit, Reference Frame, The Blackboard . . .
This story will keep on running.
UPDATE: Gooner writes a speech for John Key:
Earlier this week Lucy Lawless, and that failed NIWA
spindoctorscientist, Jim Salinger, tried to pull a stunt by giving John Key the airfare money to fly to Copenhagen next month. Key refused.
He should now go. I have written his speech (see below).
Ladies and Gentlemen
New Zealand has this week been shown to be the least corrupt country in the World.
We are justifiably very proud of that.
On that basis we do not wish to be involved with the cheats, liars and frauds running the climate change circus.
We are pulling out of Kyoto and scrapping the ETS.
Have a nice conference.
I'm now flying back to New Zealand in Al Gore's private jet.
Best John Key speech ever, I’d say. Not that there’s stiff competition or anything.
UPDATE 2: From around the traps:
- Read Andrew Bolt: The warmist conspiracy: the emails that most damn Jones, keeper of world temperature records for the past 1000 years:
"If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone . . . We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind. . . I did get an email from the FOI person here early yesterday to tell me I shouldn’t be deleting emails . . . Can you delete any emails you may have had... I’m getting hassled by a couple of people to release the CRU station temperature data. Don’t any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act ! . . . ”
- Scientists Write Open Letter to Congress: 'You Are Being Deceived About Global Warming' -- 'Earth has been cooling for ten years'
- Michael Mann - Penn State and University of Virginia, premiere climate scientist, inventor of hockey sticks: "These two are clowns..."
- Phil Jones, on the data: “The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.”
- Phil Jones again, guardian of the data: “I will be emailing the journal to tell them I’m having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor. . . . It results from this journal having a number of editors. The responsible one for this is a well-known skeptic in NZ [Chris de Freitas]. He has let a few papers through by Michaels and Gray in the past. I’ve had words with Hans von Storch about this, but got nowhere. Another thing to discuss in Nice!”
- From Tim Blair:
“Climate Research Unit director Phil Jones – alleged author of that “hide the decline” email – expresses another (alleged) opinion:
If anything, I would like to see the climate change happen, so the science could be proved right, regardless of the consequences.
Of course, if change doesn’t happen, it won’t prove that science was wrong. It’ll prove that certain scientists were. As Ed Morrissey notes:
Here we have scientists who cling to the theory so tightly that they reject the data. That’s not science; it’s religious belief.
- Pejman Yousefzadeh sums up [hat tip Tim Blair]:
We know this: The language used in many of the e-mails is offensive, crude, disparaging towards climate skeptics (including a disgusting statement made in the aftermath of the death of one global warming skeptic), and against the spirit of scientific inquiry on multiple levels. If these scientists had the doubts they appear to have had concerning global warming, they should have gone public with those doubts. That way, they would have lost neither their integrity, nor their ability to state that the weight of the evidence supports the theory of anthropogenic global warming. Instead, they engaged in . . . this.
- “After the leaking of the emails, exactly who are the deniers now?”
- Courtesy of The Catasphrophist:
“Wow. Confirmed this is real. Uncompresses to 165 MB — of which 7.6 MB are emails — and the rest is funding data & grant applications, external correspondence, PR docs, scientific papers, datasets, reports, graphs (etc) from the CRU (Climate Research Unit) at East Anglia University — not the ‘Hadley’ Center for Climate Prediction & Research (i.e. UK Meterological Office at Exeter) as is being reported. CRU prepares climate models, influences intra-governmental policy, and is pro-actively involved in manipulating the ‘climate change’ narrative in the UK.”
[Get the ZIP file here or here (or torrent). Read/search the emails here. Funding spreadsheet, pdj_grants_since1990.xls is online here.]
- If the hacked archive is no longer available at its original source, it is available at two other file-sharing services: MegaUpload and FileDropper.
- Climate Depot Exclusive - Continuously Updated 'ClimateGate' News Round Up
UPDATE 4: To help understand the way ‘The Team’ thinks, follow a chain of emails of The Team’s reaction to criticism from Steve McIntyre (of Climate Audit), who had already destroyed one of The Team’s ‘hockey stick’ graph showing faked temperature records, and was taking in interest in another:
Read The Alarmists Do "Science": A Case Study – posted at Powerline [hat tip KG]
Phil Jones: Resignation Inevitable
“It now looks certain that Phil Jones (right), Director of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, will resign his post.
“However his departure could damage the pursuit of climate truth.
“Jones resignation comes after leaked emails revealed his unethical and possibly illegal deletion of publicly funded scientific research. He did this to avoid findings and data that contradicted his climate alarmism from being released through the Freedom of Information Act.
“However Jones's resignation will be for this unethical/legal breach of the law.
“But that is not the true scandal. The truly awful behavior by Jones is that he has changed and deleted the scientific record. He has removed data from the view of his colleagues and scientists across the world and across the generations. . . “
And Duncan Davidson at The Wall Street Journal isn’t just calling for resignations from The Team; in concluding his column ‘Fear and Loathing in Global Warming’ he reckons resignation isn’t good enough for them.
“The admissions in the emails are so bad these clowns should go to jail for fraud - Fraud of a Bernie Madoff scale. Fraud with a capital F. . .
“It’s time for the GW Plumbers to go to jail: Phil Jones, Michael Mann, Gavin Schmidt, James Hansen, Keith Briffa, Malcolm Hughes and Kevin Trenberth. They were the ones circulating the emails, they were the co-conspirators of the fraud, and they deserve to be treated as the self-righteous con men they have been shown to be.
“If Al Gore were President, he would have to resign.”
UPDATE 6: More email and document excerpts below from Karl Denninger. The comments are his.
* * * First, an email from Jones:
“It was good to see you again yesterday - if briefly. One particular thing you said - and we agreed - was about the IPCC reports and the broader climate negotiations were working to the globalisation agenda driven by organisations like the WTO. So my first question is do you have anything written or published, or know of anything particularly on this subject, which talks about this in more detail?”
Comments Ettinger: Oh, so it's not about the planet getting warmer, but rather is a convenient means of advancing an agenda that has already been pre-determined?
* * * Here are some interesting "meta statistics" on the documents, and the number of times the words referenced appear:
Just for starters.
* * If you think that's bad, you might like this - from the file "ipcc-tar-master.rtf":
The idea that climate without human intervention can only undergo “natural variability”, and that “climate change” can only result from human activity is false and fallacious. It is in conflict with all that we know of evolution and geology. It is simply wrong to assume that “ climate change” automatically implies human influence on the climate.
This fallacy is embraced by the Framework Convention on Climate Change, but the IPCC (Footnote to “Summary for Policymakers. Page 1) claim that they are prepared to accept “natural variability” as “climate change”. They are, however, unwilling to accept the truth, which is that climate can change without human intervention.
47 out of 91 models listed in Chapter 9 assume that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is increasing at the rate of 1% a year when the measured rate of increase, for the past 33 years, has been 0.4% a year. The assumption of false figures in models in order to boost future projections is fraudulent. What other figures are falsely exaggerated in the same way?
UPDATE 8: It’s okay, The Herald has covered the story. On page A16. Bottom. Under the fold. Brilliant.