Friday, 20 February 2009

Study for the Libyan Sibyl – Michelangelo


The completed figure, from the Sistine Chapel, is one of my favourite Michelangelo figures – and this sketch is absolutely masterful.  Click to enlarge (I hope), and just look at his linework.


  1. It's brilliant stuff eh? For me it's Michelangelo's Pieta that's my favourite. Haven't seen the actual thing, but have seen a really high quality photo print. PC, the damned thing nearly glows!

    On a side note, I was lucky enough to be in Wellington over Xmas and saw the Da Vinci Machines exhibition - scale working models based on Da Vinci's sketches of inventions. Truly amazing.

    Even luckier for me though was that my 8 year old boy insisted on coming along as well, and was utterly mesmerised. As we shared a Guinness later (I hasten to add he only has a shot-glass of it) he said: Dad it's just amazing that someone's brain could work like that.

  2. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
(Spam will be removed, unless it's been asked for.)