Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Hapuku Lodge ‘Tree Houses,’ Kaikoura – Wilson Family architects

 treehouses_7

hapuku-lodge-trees You know, tourism architecture so often throws up interesting stuff, where an architect has taken a chance and actually tried to address the context of the project rather than simply unroll the office’s standard set of plans, re-title them, and then send out a bill -- as so many offices seem to do.

These ‘tree houses’ designed by the family who own and run them are really do sit beautifully in their context.  I like them.  I think they’re neat.

Here’s the Lodge’s website if you want to learn more, or you’d like to book yourself in.  And here’s more info about the architects.

Hapuku_wideweb__470x352,0

4 comments:

  1. I reckon they're ugly, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these tree houses. I live in Chch, with a holiday house in the Sounds and so drive pass this lodge on every trip (I couldn't tell you how many times they've almost killed me trying to get a better look while driving :) )

    Their situation is perfect, also, facing out to the sea on a lovely rugged part of the Kaikoura Coast.

    One day soon we're going to stop over and stay the night there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are great- I saw them for the first time early this year.

    I want to stay there on my next trip down that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or maybe not- it's one of those 'even phoning us costs a packet' sort of places!

    ReplyDelete

1. Commenters are welcome and invited.
2. Off-topic commenters however will be ignored.
3. Read the post before you comment.
4. Challenge facts presented if wrong, but don't ignore them when they're not.
5. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
6. Off-topic grandstanding, trolling and spam is moderated. (Unless it's entertaining.)