Death by ideology
People are dying because of a failed ideology, says MacDoctor - "an attitude that places ideology above patient care," and support for the failed public hospital system above any genuine concern with the die-while-you-wait figures that are the result.
Libertarianz oppose the die-while-you-wait system. "Healthcare is far too important to be left in government hands," declared Libertarianz Health Spokesman and Masterton GP Richard McGrath yesterday as he reiterated the principles behind, and details of, his party's health policies.
The principles upon which all Libertarianz policy is founded are:
The core tenets of Libertarianz health policy are:
- Economic and personal freedom
- Individual responsibility
- Tolerance of other people's life choices
- Protection of people's equal rights by the government
- Distributing shares in state-owned health facilities to the communities that use them
- Tax relief – making the first $50k of earnings tax-free for 5 years, with no income tax thereafter - so that New Zealanders can purchase health insurance or make other arrangements for the costs of their health care
- Establishment of medical savings accounts, with gradual phasing out of automatic funding over 5 years
- Allowing private competitors to ACC and other state monopolies in the health bureaucracy to establish themselves in the marketplace, thus putting downward pressure on prices
- Abolition of statutory bodies such as the Medical Council, to be replaced by consumer groups more in-tune with the concerns of health service consumers
- Phased removal of subsidies from health care, in order to establish a level playing field for providers of alternative therapies
Sounds good to me. It's enough to make me vote Libertarianz.