Tuesday 14 August 2007

Architecture film festival back for another year

The Jasmax Architecture Film Festival is back again around the end of August, and rather than just the main cities this time it's out and about around much of the country. Says the press release, "This year’s festival, brought to you by Jasmax and NZ Home + Entertaining, will run from the 23rd until the 29th of August in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Matakana, Tauranga, Rotorua, Havelock North, Palmerston North, Nelson and Arrowtown."

For mine, I'll be standing in line to get tickets for the Louis Sullivan, Renzo Piano and John Lautner films, and probably showing up to most of the others if I have time and there are spare seats. I won't be showing up to see the "diary" of the disgusting Philip Johnson, however, for reasons I explained here.

I'm particularly pleased to see Louis Sullivan getting the attention he deserves for his part in "inventing" the skyscraper. Sullivan--famous for his much misunderstood dictum that "form follows function"--has been a hero of mine for some time, and a year or so ago I tried to explain why. I hope this film does him justice.

No comments: