Monday 19 March 2007

Why *does* ACC feel the need to spend 5 million of their stolen money on TV advertising?

From David Farrar:
Heather Roy usefully points out that the monopoly ACC is spending $5.1 million just to make people feel good about having ACC. That's a disgraceful waste of money. Advertising promoting safety or accident reduction is valid and laudable, but this self promotion is an insult to those who have to pay the levies to fund it.
A friend who pays some fairly serious money to help fund those levies does feel insulted. They sent me this short missive:
Anybody come up with any suggestions why ACC feel the need to spend 5 million of their stolen money on TV advertising? Do they want us to go out and get more injuries so we can make more claims. I'd much rather they lowered my rates instead.
Good point.

5 comments:

Kane Bunce said...

I am glad that writers (my desired profession) are considered very low risk and so have very low ACC rates. However, better still would be the government butting the hell out.

Peter Cresswell said...

"I am glad that writers ... are considered very low risk "

As long as they don't write about the Koran...

Whaleoil said...

They spent much more than that on a satellite.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/3998011a28.html

Kane Bunce said...

They spent much more than that on a satellite.

What the? What has that got to do with their charter?

As long as they don't write about the Koran...

I don't let others rule my life. I won't let them do it through fear.

Anonymous said...

Sigh.... I remember the short period where it was privatised. Our company (with a demonstratably very low accidnet rate, despite high potential risk) got a massive reduction in insurance costs, some of which was passed on to the staff to recognise the contributions they made to safety. But we can't have incentives to stop loss-time injuries, so ACC was renationalised, and now we pay trhough the nose again.