Tuesday 26 September 2006

Music meme

Here's a challenge from Paula you might want to pick up.

NAME UP TO THREE:

Song(s) That I Loathe to the Core of My Being
-
God Defend New Zealand (the world's worst anthem)
- Ten Guitars (the world's second-worst anthem)
- Staying Alive, Bee Gees
Musical artist(s) That I Loathe to the Core of My Being
- Barry Manilow
- Elton John
- Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones Song(s) I Like
- Sympathy for the Devil
- Pay it Back ;^)
Beatles Song(s) I Love
- Taxman
- And My Bird Can Sing
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Who Song(s) I Love
- Love, Reign Over Me
- I Can't Explain
- Can You See the Real Me
Dylan Song(s) I Love
- It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
- Every Grain of Sand
- Ballad of a Thin Man
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground Song(s) I Love
- Coney Island Baby
- It Wasn't Me
- Pale Blue Eyes
Reggae Songs I Love
- Johnny Was, Bob Marley
- Police and Thieves, Junior Murvin
- Sonny's Letter (Anti-Sus Poem), Linton Kwesi Johnson
Country Song(s) I Can Stomach
- This Drinking Will Kill Me, Dwight Yoakam
- One, Johnny Cash (proof that every singer and every songwriter might just have one good song in them)
Movie Soundtrack(s) I Love
- Cotton Club, John Barry
- Amadeus, Wolfgang Amadeus Someone or Other
- anything by Ennio Morricone
- anything by Nino Rota
Cover Song(s) I Love
- Stardust by Hoagy Carmichael, performed by Louis Armstrong
- Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, performed by John Cale
- Sweet Jane by Lou Reed, covered by Cowboy Junkies
Contemporary Top-40 Artist(s) I Secretly Love
... I don't think I even know any contemporary top-forty artists...
Song(s) That Bring Me To Tears
- Papa's Song, Les Miserables
- Missing You, Christy Moore
Rap/Hip Hop Song(s) I Can Stomach
- Original Wrapper, Lou Reed
Blues Songs I Love
- 32:20 Blues, Robert Johnson
- Stomp Boogie, John Lee Hooker
- Killing Floor, Howling Wolf
Novelty Song(s) I Love
- Big Bottom, Spinal Tap
- Monkey Song, Hoagy Carmichael
- Ying Tong Song, The Goons
Soul/R&B Songs I Love
- Try a Little Tenderness, Otis Redding
- Land of a Thousand Dances, Wilson Picket
- Motown Junk, Manic Street Preachers ;^)
Power Ballad(s) I Love
- Because the Night, Patti Smith
- Nothing Else Matters, Metallica
- Passion Play, Hello Sailor
Pre 1950s Song(s) I Love
- Ain't Misbehavin', Louis Armstrong
- Im Treibhaus, Richard Wagner
- Body and Soul, Coleman Hawkins
Singer/Songwriter Songs I Love
- From St Kilda to Kings Cross, Paul Kelly
- No Man's Land, Eric Bogle
- Your Ghost, Kristin Hersh
Songs I Still Love From When I was Fourteen
- Smash it Up, Damned
- Transmission, Joy Division
- Search and Destroy, Iggy & the Stooges
Song(s) to Have Sex To
- Leibestod, Richard Wagner
- Roll Up to My Bumper, Grace Jones
- European Female, Stranglers
Drinking Song(s)I Love
- Vagabond's Drinking Song, Mario Lanza
- Billy Bold, Graham Brazier
- Boys from County Hell, Pogues

RELATED: Music

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PC, I may never speak to you again. :)

I *love* GDNZ .. it's on a par with my other two favourite anthems, France & US. I stand up for it every time I hear it and it moves me hugely.

And I love Elton John and Pink Floyd, so there.

However, you redeemed yourself with the lovely Christy Moore ...

Peter Cresswell said...

I had to laugh. The idea of Sus not speaking ... :-)

Anonymous said...

I took the long-ass time it took to do this one. So much for my lunch hour... I imagine the list will be subject to change in the next few hours, High-Fidelity style as well.

http://batsinspace.blogspot.com/2006/09/meme-tastic.html

DenMT

Richard said...

As the Wikipedia entry on the song notes,
Nothing Else Matters... was one of the principal songs fans pointed to when accusing the band of selling out.
Educate yourself and listen to some real heavy metal (no ballads) here.

Richard said...

Hmm, try this link instead.

Peter Cresswell said...

Education, Richard? Perhaps I should just fill out another entry:

Heavy Metal Song(s) That I Love:
.
.
.

File it next to the list of great albums by Pink Floyd or Dire Straits. ;^P

Deadman said...

Oh Lord, there you go with the Sweet Jane by the CJ's! LOL

It must not have been done to death by NZ radio as it was here.

Margo and Pete are dioing an acoustic music/booksigning in Santa Monica on the 7 of October. If it wasn't a 9-10 hour drive, I'd go. And Paula, who lives near there, can't make that day.

It's not fair.....