Monday, 6 February 2006

Jazz, Bues and Mr & Mrs Smith

I was forced to watch a movie last night 'starring' the couple-of-the-moment, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Vapid nonsense is the kindest thing I can say about Mr and Mrs Smith. It was, quite literally, the Pitts. In truth, it was so bad I couldn't watch it to the end; it would be unfair to criticise Jolie for her acting, since she so clearly wasn't; just as whoever was responsible for the script was clearly not a scriptwriter.

Which brings me to the Mission Bay Jazz & Blues Festival here in Auckland on Saturday night. A very enjoyable night, and kudos to all who put it together, but with rare exceptions there neither jazz nor blues musicians playing on the night: they were simply people who play jazz and blues music -- and very little of the former. There is a difference. All were enthusiasts and enthusiastic, but only a rare few were actually musicians.

Of those who were, the two in front of whom I spent most time were the Darcy Perry Blues Band, and Jan Preston, formerly of Coup D'Etat and Red Mole (who I still remember with excitement playing at the Mangere Metro when I was but a wee youngster). A great and very liquid night.


  1. You mean Bradgelina. They are one perfectious Hollywood entity.

  2. Why do you torture yourself this way PC? If you are going to spend 2 hours watching a movie, either get a recommendation from someone you trust or have a reason to see it. As for watching tripe like Mr & Mrs Smith, trust your intuition.

    I just got back from watching Walk The Line, the biopic about Johnny Cash. Apart from an overly drawn out part where Johnny was going through drug withdrawal symptoms, I found it a thoroughly enjoyably movie.

  3. I'm more picky about my movies.... wouldn't even bother.

    My weekend evenings were spent watching -
    "One Day in September" and "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room".

    Enjoyed them both thoroughly (the former being slightly better, both as entertainment and as an informative documentary).

  4. "it to the end; it would be unfair to criticise Jolie for her acting, since she so clearly wasn't"

    hahaha. :)

    Walk The Line? Nup. Just watched that in Hobart, I did. Not enough shit happened! And not enough can-do-Cash attitude. Stand up for yourself boy!

  5. I think maybe they couldn't add more shit without embellishing the story, which was, I understand, a reasonably faithful biopic. If the made the movie any longer it would have dragged.

    When I saw the movie, I had to get over my fear and loathing of Reese Witherspoon, who's acting in typical hollywood candyfloss normally turns my stomach. She's actually reasonably good in Walk The Line.


Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
(Spam will be removed, unless it's been asked for.)