Friday 14 October 2005

Wisdom of sorts

Here you go: the perfect banner for this site, I'm told. And I'll be away for the weekend in Thames -- seeking further wisdom of course -- so it will remain as the banner for the weekend. Cheers. I've left plenty of reading for you.

And in tribute to one of the world's great drinkers, here's some thoughts on the subject from Samuel Johnson:
  • Boswell: "You must allow me, Sir, at least that it produces truth; in vino veritas, you know, Sir." Johnson: "That would be useless to a man who knew he was not a liar when he was sober."
  • "Exercise!! I never heard that he used any: he might, for aught I know, walk to the alehouse; but I believe he was always carried home again."
  • "In the bottle discontent seeks for comfort, cowardice for courage, and bashfulness for confidence."
  • Boswell: "I think, Sir, you once said to me, that not to drink wine was a great deduction from life." Johnson: "It is a diminution of pleasure, to be sure; but I do not say a diminution of happiness. There is more happiness in being rational."
  • "A man who exposes himself when he is intoxicated, has not the art of getting
    drunk."
  • "Claret is the liquor for boys; port, for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
  • "There are, indeed, few who are able to drink brandy. That is a power rather to be wished for than attained."
  • "Melancholy, indeed, should be diverted by every means but drinking."
  • "This is one of the disadvantages of wine. It makes a man mistake words for thoughts."
  • "I must entreat you to be scrupulous in the use of strong liquors. One night's drunkenness may defeat the labours of forty days well employed."
  • "As soon as I enter the door of a tavern, I experience an oblivion of care, and a freedom from solicitude : when I am seated, I find the master courteous, and the servants obsequious to my call; anxious to know and ready to supply my wants : wine there exhilarates my spirits, and prompts me to free conversation and an interchange of discourse with those whom I most love : I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinion and sentiments I find delight."
  • "There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern. A tavern chair is the throne of human felicity."
  • "Life admits not of delays; when pleasure can be had, it is fit to catch it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts.”- Some drunk

Ok - since you are leaving that there for the weekend I forgive you for giving all us women the vapours over at my blog....;-)