The right to free speech means the right to express one's ideas without danger of coercion, of physical suppression or of interference by the state.Continue reading here.
Bad ideas are still ideas. You should be just as free to air them as I should be to ignore them, or to pillory them.
Just as I must take responsibility for what I do with my health and my life, so too must I take responsibility for what I say.
I may be offended, but I may not commit violence against those who offend me. I may boycott, but I may not behead.
The right to free speech gives the smallest minority the absolute protection of the state to air their views.
The smallest minority is the individual.
LINKS: Some propositions on free speech - Not PC (Peter Cresswell)
What freedom of speech? - Relative Humility
TAGS: Free_Speech, New_Zealand
No comments:
Post a Comment
We welcome thoughtful disagreement.
But we do (ir)regularly moderate comments -- and we *will* delete any with insulting or abusive language. Or if they're just inane or off topic. It’s okay to disagree, but pretend you’re having a drink in the living room with the person you’re disagreeing with. This includes me.
PS: Have the honesty and courage to use your real name. That gives added weight to any opinion.