Not a piece of visual art tonight, but instead an aural wonder. Norman's rich, warm voice caresses Richard Strauss's songs of wistful longing, and (if you get the CD version) makes a wonder of Wagner's aching love songs. Sheer, unabashed beauty.
▼
Monday, 15 August 2005
Four Last Songs: Jesse Norman
Not a piece of visual art tonight, but instead an aural wonder. Norman's rich, warm voice caresses Richard Strauss's songs of wistful longing, and (if you get the CD version) makes a wonder of Wagner's aching love songs. Sheer, unabashed beauty.
3 comments:
We welcome thoughtful disagreement.
But we do (ir)regularly moderate comments -- and we *will* delete any with insulting or abusive language. Or if they're just inane or off topic. It’s okay to disagree, but pretend you’re having a drink in the living room with the person you’re disagreeing with. This includes me.
PS: Have the honesty and courage to use your real name. That gives added weight to any opinion.
PC, I agree with you - Norman's recording of the Four Last Songs is the only one I'd consider fit to sit beside Elizabeth Schwarzkopf's 1965 set with George Szell. (I know many musical purists would debate the call with me, but both women can break my heart and make me beg for more.)
ReplyDeleteGundula Janowitz's singing on her recording with the Berlin Philharmonic under von Karajan (Cat: #47422) is glorious, but this is another von Karajan recording where it's all about the conductor's ego rather than the music. Damn it.
PC, I agree with you - Norman's recording of the Four Last Songs is the only one I'd consider fit to sit beside Elizabeth Schwarzkopf's 1965 set with George Szell. (I know many musical purists would debate the call with me, but both women can break my heart and make me beg for more.)
ReplyDeleteGundula Janowitz's singing on her recording with the Berlin Philharmonic under von Karajan (Cat: #47422) is glorious, but this is another von Karajan recording where it's all about the conductor's ego rather than the music. Damn it.
Craig, you've been reading my mail. Until I heard the Norman recording, Schwarzkopf's was my far and away favourite. I didn't think it could be touched for beauty ... until I heard Norman's.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard Gundula Janowitz's, but I was struck by her sparkling Sieglinde in Karajan's 'Walkure,' the only place I've heard here. What a beautiful tone! She more than makes up for Karajan's indiscretions, and I've been meaning to track down more of her work. I might start with Cat: #47422. Thanks. :-)