I'm going to start with the workaround for Blogger posted at FreshBlog. Feel free to suggest improvements.
Categories: Blog
We welcome thoughtful disagreement.
But we do (ir)regularly moderate comments -- and we *will* delete any with insulting or abusive language. Or if they're just inane or off topic. It’s okay to disagree, but pretend you’re having a drink in the living room with the person you’re disagreeing with. This includes me.
PS: Have the honesty and courage to use your real name. That gives added weight to any opinion.
You could create a post called 'It's A Classic... Write It Down,' and add all your links to that post, and then have that post linked in the right-hand column. It'd save you space, and instead of updating the template with the links, you just need to update the post. Much tidier. If you do it this way, you can have the right-hand column linking to a number of posts, with each of the posts showing a whole bunch of links themselves.
ReplyDeleteYou can see this in action on my journal, under the 'Information' section.
You're right, AL, that all of the hacks look like a lot of work, but to be fair, migrating from Blogger looks like more work.
ReplyDeleteI'd thought of doing what you suggest, Alan, but don't you find the extra work for each post -- particularly if the post has a number of categories -- to be a little tedious?
That said, I see del.icio.us still hasn't set up my tags, so I guess I've done something wrong already. :-/
I have no extra work for each post. I'm only mentioning to you that if you have a list of links that are categorised, then you could create a post for each category and put those links into that post. It only applies to links to other sites, not to categorising all your posts. I misunderstood the nature of the 'Classic' categorisation on the right-hand side when I was writing my comment, so my earlier comment doesn't apply to that. My apologies.
ReplyDeleteThe only problem with the del.icio.us categorisation method, which is why I haven't implemented it on my site, is that it applies categorisation on their site, which is also taking the visitor away from your own site. For me, anything that takes the visitor away from my site in an attempt to show them more of my site's content is just another way of helping them go somewhere else.
I'm not going to worry about categorisation until blogspot.com (Google) introduce their own internal categorisation method, which I suspect will be soon, considering the amount of interest in it. Keeping visitors at my site is of upmost importance to me. It's a method of keeping their interest by keeping them at the site as long as possible. Any external links are designed by me to open in other windows, so that any link they take outside of my site will still keep my site open in a browser window.