▼

Wednesday, 28 September 2005

The Big Sleep

Classic film noir: sharp, stylish and as beautiful as a split lip. Not a plot line to fall asleep to, but with dialogue this cracking, who could. Famously, Bacall became Mrs Bogart between re-takes.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I watched that last weekend. But it was Robert Mitchum, Jimmy Steward and unimpresive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess I too found the later version with Mitchum unimpressive, so for once we agree, Rick. ;^)

    I do heartily recommend Raymond Chandler's hard-edged books, from which this and other films came. But as Chandler's Philip Marlowe, Bogart is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ve shall see about dat.
    I just got the 15 DVD episodes of The Prisoner I haven't seen yet so Cresswell Credibility is on the line.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome thoughtful disagreement.
But we do (ir)regularly moderate comments -- and we *will* delete any with insulting or abusive language. Or if they're just inane or off topic. It’s okay to disagree, but pretend you’re having a drink in the living room with the person you’re disagreeing with. This includes me.
PS: Have the honesty and courage to use your real name. That gives added weight to any opinion.